Thursday, January 7, 2010

New Semester Approaching

I've been preparing for Spring semester. I sent out emails to those registered for Instructional Design and Instructional Applications of the Internet on Monday. Even two weeks before the beginning of the semester, I didn't beat everyone to the punch. I had already received some emails asking about textbooks and other issues. I told the ID class that I would be using Dimdim for orientation and maybe later, alternating with The Palace (an oldie but goody). I quickly received a return email from one class member who, it turns out, is deaf. Hmmm, Dimdiim won't work well there, without someone to transcribe what I say (the students say very little in Dimdim bu tthey do use the text chat). Looks like what I'll need to do is use Palace for most of the classes. That resolves any issues with her in the day to day communications. I will also send along a list of YouTube videos that I use now, which they will caption. I also have some audios that I made, so I will need to type out the same information. Finally, I can't use the audio feedback with her. This is one of the few times I have had a student who needed accommodation, so I'm learning a lot here. I do sort of wish there were a way that I could be informed as soon as a student signs up. It would have affected my initial email to the class.

Not much else interesting going on in preparing for classes. I keep meaning to go through the QM rubric to be sure that I am covering all the important factors. I wonder when I'll have the time.

No comments: